Sunday, April 30, 2006

Today's episode brought to you by the letter K

I spent the weekend in Tennessee with my girlfriends. It was a blast, we rented a cabin in the woods and pretty much did nothing all weekend. We did go into Gatlinburg to check out the lovely attractions for a few hours...you have to laugh at a place like that. How does someplace like that get started??

Traveling south magnifies one of the unfortunate situations in the English language...C and K can make the same sound. And, to top things off, people feel inclined to switch the letters when they name their business. Why do people do this???
Kontrary to their thought process, kool with a k is not kool or katchy and it's definitely not klassy. I am not more inklined to stop at your restaurant or store just bekause it is named Kastle Inn, Krazy Karts or Kidz Kutz (I'll save my komments on the letter Z for a later post) and definitely not Kontry Kookin (in this case, I'm actually skared away). It klearly gets my attention, but it's not positive, money-spending attention...it's mokkery. I also realize this regrettable mistake aktually happens in beautiful, sophistikated Ohio as well, but it was definitely worse south of the river. So, if you're ever brainstorming what to name your new business, do yourself a favor, get a diktionary and think of something more klever than kool with a k.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

jist dont lit me ketch ewe joy nun the CCC!

Kelly said...

As an editor, I'd have to agree with your comments. Your post cracked me up!

Here's another annoyance I see:
People who are trying too hard to be relevant to teenagers and they really aren't send me manuscripts where they end all of their verbs with in' -- for example "Kool teenager John was jammin' to his tunes." Yeah -- nothing says adult who is trying too hard like writers who use the apostrophe too much (and the letter Z!).

Anonymous said...

Nice...now if only my students could grasp this and other grammatical concepts :-)

Unknown said...

Plz send me gif

Khemnit