Monday, April 17, 2006

London...

This week I'm actually going to London. Two days of meetings, one day of exploring. I'm not really sure what I'll be able to figure out in that amount of time but I'm hoping to figure out something! Take a stroll, ride the tube, maybe catch a show. Plus, I need to figure out how much things cost. Currently $1 equals about 0.57 pounds. In case you're wondering, that's not good for me. I need to go back to Thailand and Laos where $1 buys a wonderful, heaping plate of pad thai! Also, I think the weather is in the upper 50s right now (I'm eventually going to have to figure out celsius if I move). I'll have to see what I think of the climate since it has a rather rainy reputation and I'm not a fan of rain- but I guess you don't go to London for the weather.
I'll try to keep you posted on my trip at least once while I'm gone and definitely when I get back. I'm sure I'll have plenty of things to comment on!

1 comments:

Ditto said...

You have to see a show in London. There are very few cities that can match it theater wise. You'll probably have something like 80 different shows to choose from. Also, the theater is very affordable unlike NYC. I believe the cheap ticket booths are located at Leicester Square.

Concerning the Tube, watch out for pickpockets. That is one of their favorite haunts.

Definitely see the Tower of London as long as the line isn't too long and make sure you catch one of the free tours by the Yeoman Warders. They are awesome.

The Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace is worth seeing though it is a big tourist attraction.

If you have time, it is worth it to see Westminster Abbey and St. Paul's Cathedral. Make sure you check out the catacombs in St. Paul's where Lord Nelson and the Duke of Wellington are buried.

If you want to do a cheap tour of London, they have walking tours which only cost L4 or L5 and last (I believe) 2 or 3 hours. The tours are oriented to various themes. One I went on was oriented toward legal London and showed where the courthouses were, where the four houses that all barristers (lawyers) must belong to are, and the really neat garden they have at the houses (I forget the proper name for them).