Monday, December 01, 2008

Life in London

Life in London is extremely busy. People are constantly going from place to place and busy with things every night and weekend. However, the results of a recent study also show it's increasingly lonely. They site some reasons such as "the high concentration of unmarried adults, people living on their own, inhabitants who have moved to their current address in the last year and the numbers of people privately renting their accommodation."

London is a very transitory city and I'm sure that contributes to the loneliness. I can't decide if that's a cause or just another symptom of common attitudes and values in the city. Despite having lots of "friends" and social events, the survey results indicate there is an obvious lack of community. I imagine that comes from people looking for fulfillment in all different places and putting themselves first. I'll be the first to admit that I am not completely selfless, but it's hard to feel lonely if you are part of a community that is always looking out for others.

Maybe the busy-ness is even part of the cause because it means you can't take time to develop deep relationships. Or is it an attempt to mask the fact that we are lonely? I obviously don't know the answer but I think it's more complicated than the one sentence they provide in the report.

0 comments: