Friday, June 15, 2007

Big Brother?

Lately I've been really missing having a car! I like cars in general and it would be so nice to just jump in the car and go to the store or drive anywhere I want. There are a few things holding me back from getting one. First, I am saving a lot of money by not having one and I'm not sure the cost is worth how much I would use it. Second, my license will only last for a year then I have to take driving lessons and get a brand new license. Ugh! And last, but not least - they have speed cameras here. I've had my share of speeding tickets and am always on the lookout for cop cars when I am driving, but here there are cameras everywhere! A colleague said she got a ticket in the mail with a picture of her and her husband in the car that was so clear it made her shudder.

According to this article "there are more than 4.2m CCTV cameras, with the average person being filmed more than 300 times a day" in Britain. Rumor is that the UK is one of the most watched countries and now they are experimenting with installing listening devices as well.

Not only does the UK have a lot of surveillance cameras, people here are obsessed with the TV show "Big Brother." I've even come across several shows on cable that are commentaries on the Big Brother show itself. They're like accessories for a TV show. You can even watch cameras from the house 24/7 online or on cable.

Yikes...there are some crazy people over here. (Not my friends of course!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would not have a license any more if they did that here (although technically I don't have one now since mine's expired...shhhh!). Had some mac 'n' cheese and thought of you tonight. Will send some soon :-) Miss you!

Anonymous said...

At first I thought you were going to talk about the reality TV show (which I must admit I catch bits and pieces). It is scary to think how often we're captured on camera, but I like to think that it helps catch the criminals and gives evidence in cases.

Anonymous said...

I did a big report on CCTV at uni. CCTV cameras certainly work for catching crimimals but do not work effectively in terms of "preventing" crime in first place. Yes, it's scary not knowing when people are watching us!!