Tuesday, October 16, 2007

a little snack to hold you over

Last week was a busy week so I didn't get to post much. Work was busy but now 2 major presentations are out of the way and I am coasting my way towards vacation. So get your floats ready and call the marching bands...I'm coming home tomorrow!

But just to hold you over until you see me I thought I'd leave you with another piece of language confusion. Pancakes are one of my favorite foods. But what Americans call pancakes are not what British or South Africans call them. Pancakes here are what I call crepes. South Africans call American pancakes crumpets...but crumpets aren't the same thing in England. You can't call them flapjacks either because flapjacks in England are more like softer, chewier granola bars. So honestly, I can't win either way. I haven't actually figured out what British people would call American pancakes but whatever, I know what real pancakes are!

Just to confuse you, here is an interesting video of an obviously British person making pancakes. You can also get an idea of the different types of toppings they use other than maple syrup. If there was one thing that could beat maple syrup it would be Nutella!

0 comments: