Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Stop Traffick Fashion

I first encountered human trafficking when I was visiting Thailand several years ago. On that trip I visited a home for young girls who had been rescued from child prostitution. It struck me as horrifying that these sweet, exuberant girls, who were around 7-14 years old, had previously been forced into prostitution. Since then I've read more, heard more and learned more. It's not just these girls. There are younger girls, older girls and other men, women and children.

Every time I hear about trafficking I have a feeling that my life cannot be the same. Something has to change. How can normal people make a difference about such a big problem? We can't all quit our jobs and join the rescue effort - although maybe we should do that more. Over the past year I've come up with something that I can do now.

Check out my new site: Stop Traffick Fashion. Right now it says "coming soon." Coming in June 2009 it will be a boutique selling accessories made by survivors of human trafficking. You can read more on the site. You can also subscribe to the blog. The blog will provide news and information about human trafficking, as well as updates about the site. Check it out and tell all your friends!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily,

I am a friend of Kelly Carr and I wanted to let you know I have a friend working with women in prostitution in Thailand. His name is Jim Larson and this is his ministry. Here is a link to his blog http://servantworks.com/jim
Jim is an awesome man who I met when I worked at Uptown Baptist Church in Chicago.

Carol C.