Sunday, July 02, 2006

Color me Purple

Today was the day...we "conquered" the Purple People Bridge. I'd say that "conquered" might be a bit of an overstatement but they seemed to like to be dramatic. Regardless, it was a very cool experience, despite the purple and yellow jumpsuits. Unfortunately you couldn't take your own cameras. Apparently there might be a problem if you drop them on the pedestrians below, and they want to be able to charge you $5 for extra pictures (at least one is complimentary). So we didn't get to take a any pictures but I scanned these in just for you!

The climb is a great advertisement for the city. If you're from out of town it gives you some fun, interesting tidbits about the city and provides some great views. If you're from the city it's a whole new way to experience it. If you want to see the Ohio River, I'd suggest this rather than tubing on it. We actually saw someone doing that today among the driftwood and unidentified floating objects--yikes! At the top we got to ring the "achievement bell" when we reached 150 feet. (Did I mention it was a little over-dramatic?) Still, I'd definitely recommend it, you get to take your time going across and stop at the top of each span to enjoy the view. It would be cool to do during Tall Stacks with all the boats on the river.

Plus, who doesn't like to talk on headsets?? If only it had just been our family we could have had more fun with the walk-talkies without fear of embarassment. Not surprisingly, that didn't stop my dad. As we're approaching the bridge he said, "Houston, we have a problem" and the guide jerked around and said, "What's wrong?? Is everything okay?" Nice one Dad.

1 comments:

Ditto said...

It's awesome you got to do the climb. I'm glad you had a great time. I suspect they do make it dramatic but that's because they want to make a very special experience for those who do the climb. The microphones would be fun to play with. I can understand why your guide jumped when your dad said "Houston, we have a problem." I suspect they are extremely safety conscious. They don't want any problems 150 feet up. I also bet the company's insurance is a killer so they really have to stress safety. In regards to taking a camera on the bridge, as I remember on the Sydney bridge, they didn't let us take any personal belongings. I think we had to put all our stuff in a locker before we did the climb. Was it the same for your climb?