Monday, November 06, 2006

Caffe Nero vs. Starbucks vs. Costa Coffee

There are just as many Starbucks here as in the states, and an equal or greater number of Caffe Nero and Costa Coffee shops. Within 3 blocks on the Wimbledon high street there are 2 Caffe Neros, 1 Starbucks, 1 Costa and 1 Coffee Republic (in addition to coffee shops in the train station and bookstores, and the crap espressos you can get from a machine in sandwich shops) Apparently tea is in danger of losing it's status as the preeminent English drink. I've even seen billboards advertising the benefits of drinking tea. If I was tea, I'd be afraid of coffee too. Everyone knows coffee is great, no billboards needed.

Since I'm in a new country I thought I'd try new coffee shops. Maybe it's just my rebellion to the proliferation of Starbucks in America, but I like Caffe Nero better. But because Caffe Nero is just as widespread here as Starbucks, it's only my foreign eye that is attracted to Caffe Nero as someplace different. However, I do think Caffe Nero has better coffee and espresso than Starbucks. As a result, they have better coffee drinks. The one exception are Starbucks' seasonal drinks. I love, love the Peppermint Mocha, Toffee Nut Latte, Eggnog Latte and Gingerbread Latte...but as they are only available for a limited time they are not enough to outweigh the overall better taste of Caffe Nero all year round.

Costa Coffee does have a pretty amazing mocha. In fact, it might be a little too much. I couldn't even drink the whole thing (and if you know me, that's pretty amazing). The best mocha I've ever had was still from Sitwells in Clifton. I probably need to try Costa a few more times until I can make a fair assessment of coffee quality.

I still haven't found any place with cappuccinos as good as Rohs Street. I'm sure they exist somewhere in London but it's going to take some more research.

6 comments:

Ryan said...

I thought you gave up coffee? ...or was it just caffinated coffee?

Anonymous said...

Best coffee (and hot choc so maybe the mocha is amazing) - 'Bean n Cup' Camden High Street.
Best location for coffee -'Primrose Patisserie' in Primrose Hill. Sit outside on a sunday morning and people watch. Rain or shine. We should go sometime - the cake is good too.

Eric said...

Mmmm. . . Coffee. . . Have you tried the pumpkin spice latte from said evil Seattle Coffee Company? Hey, check out my new blog @ www.metromusings82.blogspot.com Lata.

-e

ashleyvg said...

you cannot forget starbuck's pumpkin spice latte. also fabulous. i vote for starbucks. because i love (and miss) their three story shops in and around town - i think they have a more comfortable enviornment.

i'd also like to know what kind of tea sales those coffee places do. it has to be out of control, esp to US.

Anonymous said...

You know what goes really well with Toffee Nut Lattes? Chocolate chip shortbread cookies- they're the best!

MelodyInTraining said...

I have to say that I am becoming more and more a fan of Coffee Emporium and Awakenings...which I realize that you can't get over there...so when I get around to mailing you mac and cheese, I'll send some of that too to share with your Brit friends.

There was also a big article in the Enquirer about local coffee places...quite good :-)